[daip] Re: Downloading data from the Internet

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 13 13:51:18 EST 2004

Data Analysts writes:

> [...]

    Please direct aips questions to daip at nrao.edu.

    read the help file for FILLM.  It will tell you that you need to
do just this.

 > But my tvwindow does not open with my local computer.
 > I checked
 > xdpyinfo | grep depth
 >   it returns
 >   depth: 24 planes
 >
 > So, I think my linux display is set to 24bit color.
 >
 > When I start aips, it complains that
 > TVSERVER: could not get ssslock service by name: Invalid Argument
 > TVSERVER: check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map

    This message is fairrly explicit - you need to change the services
to include the ones used by aips (this requires root privilege).  The
following should be in /etc/services (or the YP equivalent)

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4

You can also start aips saying
     aips tv=local
which will run with Unix sockets which are fine so long as only one
computer is involved.  The TPMONs will still issue error messages but
if you do not need to provide remote tape service from your computer
that also does not matter.

Eric Greisen