[daip] laptop installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sun Dec 26 14:06:48 EST 2004

Prof. Sara Beck writes:

 > I have just installed AIPS on my PowerBook G4. The installation went
 > smoothly enough but now I can't get AIPS running. when i type
 >
 > source login.sh

You are running csh or tcsh.  Try

    cd $AIPS_ROOT   (or cd to the root area anyway)

then

    source LOGIN.CSH

The .SH version is for folks running bash.  Then the command

aips

or

 AIPS

should start aips.  There seems to be a case problem in Macs so that
we cannot make two symbols "aips" and "AIPS" both pointing at
$AIPS_ROOT/START_AIPS.  Thus, at the making of the link file, case
does not matter.  But when the user types the command aips or AIPS
case does matter.  Sigh....  the remains of the Microsoft immitations
in Apple still get us some.

Eric Greisen