[daip] laptop installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 27 10:36:19 EST 2004

Prof. Sara Beck writes:

 > Hello Eric, and thanks for your prompt answer. But it still isn't
 > working: I went to the ROOT area as you said, and checked that it was
 > the AIPS_ROOT area, but still get the same problem: typing AIPS gives me
 >
 > Command not found

    But did you do the "source LOGIN.CSH" command?  The AIPS or aips
will not be known (i.e. in your $PATH) until you do.

 > and typing START_AIPS gives me
 >
 > LOCALHOST is not defined in HOSTS.LIS; cannot start AIPS.
 >
 > and when I cat HOSTS.LIS the LOCALHOST is there as reported below in the

Note the instructions in the file HOSTS.LIST given below.  Your
HOSTS.LIST has zero spaces between the + sign and the LOCALHOST
string.

AIPS hosts.  Spacing/position is significant for columns 1 and 2.  The
first item must be in column 1 and there must be exactly two spaces
between it and column 2.

Fields: 1 = "+"  host runs AIPS and can/will run a TV server (e.g. XAS),
            "-"  host is a TV server only (does not run AIPS), and
            "="  host is an X11 display terminal (does not run AIPS).
        2 = hostname, uppercase (NOT qualified, i.e. FOO, not FOO.EDU)
        3 = architecture (CVEX, IBM, SUN4, SUN3, HP, ALLN, CRI, IBM3090,
                  DEC, SGI, ...)
              Note: byte order and f.p. format MUST be identical on all.
        4 = Site.  Use same string for all your entries at one site.
        5 = Default server for X terminal (ignored for AIPS hosts, TV
              servers)
        6 = description (for people and your own benefit).

AOC version.  The descriptions are WAY out of date.

1  2             3       4     5           6
+  AGAVE      SUL     NRAOAOC  NONE        Sun Ultra 10, Data Analysts