[daip] TV display

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 13 15:11:58 EST 2004

jnaiman at ucla.edu writes:
 > Dear Tech People:
 >
 > Hi.   I recently installed AIPS on Red Hat 9 (Professional Workstation)
 > machine and am having trouble getting my TV display to display.   I've
 > tried all the suggestions on the Managers FAQ page as well as several
 > other things, but I keep getting this print out when I log onto aips:

       What is it that is wrong with this output.  I see something but
these words suggest you see something else..

 > START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the Color Printer
 > START_AIPS:  - system name bob, AIPS type COLOR
 >
 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 >   (Using global default file /home/sexgoddess88/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
 >    Disk 1 (1) is /home/sexgoddess88/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
 >
 > Tape assignments:
 >    Tape 1 is REMOTE
 >    Tape 2 is REMOTE
 >
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
 > START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
 > START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user 500
 > XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > XASERVERS: TEKSRV is already running on host localhost, display :0, user 500
 > XASERVERS: MSGSRV is already running on host localhost, display :0, user 500
 >
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?3600
 > AIPS 1:                          31DEC04 AIPS:
 > AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Associated Universities, Inc.
 > AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
 > AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
 > AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
 > AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
 > AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
 > AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
 > AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

What I do not see is any messages from XAS itself.  The above are from
scripts such as START_AIPS, XASERVERS, and from AIPS.EXE itself.

When you reach this state, does a ps show any XAS process?

ps -elf | grep XAS

Is there an XAS executable in $LOAD  ($AIPS_ROOT/31DEC04/$ARCH/LOAD).
You are running as localhost so I take it that this is a laptop
installation.  What is the architecture?