[daip] TV display

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 10 16:38:49 EST 2004

(I bounced this over from the tech list to the daip one)

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:47:30 PDT, jnaiman at ucla.edu said:

> Hi.   I recently installed AIPS on Red Hat 9 (Professional Workstation)
> machine and am having trouble getting my TV display to display.

Are you sure it isn't there but minimized or iconified?  The listing
below looks quite normal.

We have AIPS running on RedHat 9, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
(Workstation), and other Linux systems so presumably your environment
will be very similar to ours.

> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the Color Printer
> START_AIPS:  - system name bob, AIPS type COLOR

So far so good.

> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>   (Using global default file /home/sexgoddess88/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /home/sexgoddess88/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

One local disk, so AIPS should be able to start ok.

> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE

No problem here.

> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...

If all else fails (and read on before trying this), you can try using
a unix ("local") TV instead by starting it with:

      aips tv=local

but as I said, read on first.

> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?

Good.

> XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user 500

Hmm.  "user 500?"  Is this your login name, i.e. if you type "id" and
"whoami" on the unix command line, what do they show?  This may be a red
herring.  Another thing that will help (us, not you) is the output of
"ps aux | grep TVSERV" as the script is grabbing that and possibly
mis-interpreting it.

> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0

That's good I think, but there should be additional messages here.  Do
you know the depth of your screen (8, 16, 24, 32 planes)?  You can
figure this out via the output of xdpyinfo; the default visual should be
capable of showing 24 or more planes, e.g.:

  default visual id:  0x21
  visual:
    visual id:    0x21
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes

> XASERVERS: TEKSRV is already running on host localhost, display :0, user 500
> XASERVERS: MSGSRV is already running on host localhost, display :0, user 500

Fair enough; there should be one xterm or similar window on the screen
with the message server running, and another minimized or iconified with
the tek server running in it.

> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?3600
> AIPS 1:                          31DEC04 AIPS:
> AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Associated Universities, Inc.
> AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
> AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
> AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
> AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
> AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
> AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

Presumably you get the "> " prompt here and can get simple things like
"print 2 + 2" and "go disku" to work?

I would give the whole thing another try, by exiting the AIPS session
with "kleenex" to get rid of any existing servers, and start over.  Then
remember to look for the TV window iconified, or minimized (if in GNOME
or KDE, check the panel on the bottom of the screen).  If that still
shows no TV, exit with "kleenex" again, and try "aips tv=local".

Hope some of this helps.

				- Pat