[daip] Mac OS X AIPS install crash

Wes Young wyoung at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Nov 28 18:51:05 EST 2003

Hi Schuyler,

I've got a G4 at home and the IBM compilers work fine on it.  As for
MacOSX, the NRAO is just starting to look at the OS seriously, we're
still feeling around what the best options are.  I have found fink
problematical and have taken to installing things from source on my
home machine, others have had no problems with fink.

Installing the gnu compilers is relatively easy, essentially there are
few things to keep in mind:

Unpack the the gcc tar ball and create an installation directory
i.e.

tar xzf gcc-3.3-2.tar.gz
mkdir darwin
cd darwin
../gcc-3.3.2/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gnu
gnumake bootstrap
gnumake install

Note you'll need permission to create /usr/local/gnu to install in it.
You can always install it some place else where you have write
permissions.

You'll then need to adjust the compilers accordingly.  I would suggest
using the IBM compilers, they provide quite a performance boost over
the gnu compilers.  We may have actually put the options in the build
scripts for the IBM compiler, if not you'll need to adjust the compiler
and just build with the -O3 option. I think you can rerun the install
wizard and it will proceed apace.  In either case you'll want to
rebuild everything, to avoid the restFP saveFP unresovled symbols
problem.

Hopefully this will get you on track.

wes