[daip] AIPS TV device

Miguel de Val Borro miguel at astro.su.se
Tue Nov 25 08:40:38 EST 2003

Thanks for your help. It works now using the option tv=local:1
and other numbers but it doesn't work with tv=hostname.
The AIPS server is a Linux computer and we are trying to
run AIPS from Solaris and Windows machines using Cygwin.

I've also given write permission to the users in
$AIPS_ROOT/31DEC03/LINUX/LOAD/ because in some cases there
were error messages about permission denied in that directory.
Maybe it's also necessary to give write privileges to the users
in $AIPS_ROOT/31DEC03/LINUX/PREP because there are some messages
like these:

>kleenex
AIPS 2: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
AIPS 2: Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
AIPS 2: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   1
AIPS 2: User 1111:   474 messages, oldest written 23-NOV-2003  20:00:39
AIPS 2: Deleted      0 messages
AIPS 2: Saved POPS environment in area named 'LASTEXIT'
ZSSSO2 connect (UNIX): Permission denied
AIPS 2: Session command-line history saved.
AIPS 2: saerimner    31DEC03 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=      10

In some cases there's a warning that START_TVSERVERS doesn't exist
but it is in the $AIPS_ROOT area.

TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST hydra1.astro.su.se  ***
START_AIPS: Checking if hydra1.astro.su.se is reachable via ssh...
START_AIPS: Yes it is.  Telling hydra1.astro.su.se to start VERSION=TST
START_AIPS: TV servers asynchronously with INET Socket...
START_AIPS: ******************************************************
START_AIPS: IF THIS FAILS, start AIPS yourself by hand on hydra1.astro.su.se.
START_AIPS: ******************************************************
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on SAERIMNER asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 2 (release of 31DEC03) at priority =   0
AIPS 2: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 2: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 2: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
?bash: /afs/astro.su.se//pkg/AIPS/START_TVSERVERS: No such file or directory

Regards,
Miguel