[daip] AIPS TV device

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 24 12:34:40 EST 2003

Miguel de Val Borro writes:

 > When we run AIPS remotely from another machine sometimes one
 > finds the messages:

        I am not sure what exactly you are doing here.  I amguessing
that you are sitting in front of machine D (desktop) but executing
AIPS on machine S (server).  The best way to do this is to run XAS,
TKSRV, MSSRV etc on D as internet devices.  This means that D must be
known on S (in HOSTS.LIST) and the architecture of D must be
supported.  You start the processes on D either by - on D entering
"aips" or on S by entering "aips tv=D".

        Instead you seem to be setting DISPLAY to D and entering "aips
tv=local" which always uses version 1 of the Unix servers.  Note that
you can say "aips tv=local:0" which will start a new server version
or "aips tv=local:7" to start version 7.  A total of 35 versions are
allowed!  This is usually slow since any expose event causes the full
XAS screen to be updated over the LAN rather than locally on D.

     Teach your users to use KLEENEX to exit aips rather than EXIT.
This will clear away the servers.

 > AIPS 2: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
 > AIPS 2: You are assigned TV device/server   2
 > AIPS 2: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on saerimner
 > TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on saerimner, DISPLAY localhost:12.0
 > UNIXSERVERS: TKSRV1 is already running on host saerimner, display (unknown), user rolandk
 > UNIXSERVERS: MSSRV1 is already running on host saerimner, display (unknown), user (unknown)
 >
 > The problem is that TKSRV1 and MSSRV1 are still around but
 > TVSRV1 is not.
 >
 > It looks like we don't have enough TV servers, if I launch a
 > second session there's a message:
 >
 > ZSTRT1: ZSTRTA: ******  ALL AIPS ARE IN USE.  ******

Did you set up S to allow only one aips?  This is a separate limit
from filaip

RUN FILAIP
4 -100
6 2
35

The 6 allows 6 simultaneous interactive aips on the machine and 2
batch queues.  You can allow more than 6.

You will also have to

RUN POPSGN
0 POPSDAT TST
<cr>