[daip] AIPS TV device

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 25 11:57:49 EST 2003

Miguel de Val Borro writes:
 > Thanks for your help. It works now using the option tv=local:1
 > and other numbers but it doesn't work with tv=hostname.
 > The AIPS server is a Linux computer and we are trying to
 > run AIPS from Solaris and Windows machines using Cygwin.

         The Solaris and Windows Cygwin are then not running AIPS
(Windows does not have an aips port) and so cannot run XAS.  That is
why we have tv=local.

 > I've also given write permission to the users in
 > $AIPS_ROOT/31DEC03/LINUX/LOAD/ because in some cases there
 > were error messages about permission denied in that directory.
 > Maybe it's also necessary to give write privileges to the users
 > in $AIPS_ROOT/31DEC03/LINUX/PREP because there are some messages
 > like these:

       Users do not need write privilege to these areas.

 > >kleenex
 > AIPS 2: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
 > AIPS 2: Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
 > AIPS 2: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   1
 > AIPS 2: User 1111:   474 messages, oldest written 23-NOV-2003  20:00:39
 > AIPS 2: Deleted      0 messages
 > AIPS 2: Saved POPS environment in area named 'LASTEXIT'
 > ZSSSO2 connect (UNIX): Permission denied

    This comes from the socket already being gone.

 > AIPS 2: Session command-line history saved.
 > AIPS 2: saerimner    31DEC03 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=      10
 >

 > In some cases there's a warning that START_TVSERVERS doesn't exist
 > but it is in the $AIPS_ROOT area.
 >
 > TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST hydra1.astro.su.se  ***
 > START_AIPS: Checking if hydra1.astro.su.se is reachable via ssh...
 > START_AIPS: Yes it is.  Telling hydra1.astro.su.se to start VERSION=TST
 > START_AIPS: TV servers asynchronously with INET Socket...
 > START_AIPS: ******************************************************
 > START_AIPS: IF THIS FAILS, start AIPS yourself by hand on hydra1.astro.su.se.
 > START_AIPS: ******************************************************
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on SAERIMNER asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 2 (release of 31DEC03) at priority =   0
 > AIPS 2: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
 > AIPS 2: You are assigned TV device/server   2
 > AIPS 2: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
 > AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
 > ?bash: /afs/astro.su.se//pkg/AIPS/START_TVSERVERS: No such file or
directory

       This is not a TV=local usage so it is having hydra1 run
START_TVSERVERS - does hydra1 mount /afs/astro.su.se//pkg/