[daip] Re: [Fwd: Re: Can't make crosspol work]

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue May 20 11:47:25 EDT 2003

When the message

    BLEW CORE!

comes out while compiling procedures, it says that you have compiled
way, way too many procedures.  The RUN VLBAUTIL command needs to be
given only once to compile the VLBA procedures.  If you run it again,
the memory ("core") used by the first compilation is not given back,
causing more memory from a fixed but large pool to be used.  To get
that memory back you can say

    COMPRESS

But this verb will probably no longer work once core has been blown.
You must enter

    RESTORE 0

to get back to basics, then RUN VLBAUTIL once to get the VLBA
procedures.  The pseudo-verb

    CORE

will allow you to monitor your usage of the memories.

Now to the real problem.

1. We no longer recommend CROSSPOL - use VLBACPOL from the VLBA procs
  instead.

2. Is this VLBI or AT data?  I am not knowledgable in polarization but
   am uncertain whether XY/YX data can be used exactly as if it were
   RL/LR.

3. The SWINIT message is produced under rather simple conditions.  If
   the stokes axis reference value is not -1 or -5 or the axis
   increment is not -1, then the message appears and the task quits.
   Please send me the output of IMHEADER on this data set.

4. The task ATLOD is not maintained by us and we have no control over
   its contents.