[daip] illegal environment variable?

Gustaaf Van Moorsel gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu May 22 16:03:09 EDT 2003

Dear designated AIP,

While testing the archive tool, I created an ARCHIVE subdirectory
under /DATA/AJAX_1, analogous to the FITS subdirectory, to hold
export files.  Before starting AIPS, I did a

setenv ARCH /DATA/AJAX_1/ARCHIVE

after which I specified my INFILE in FILLM as 'ARCH:XH99802/file_

This did not work; I got the following messages:

ajax  > FILLM1: Opening ARCH:XH99802/file_1
ajax  > FILLM1: ZTPOPN: DISK DEVICE = ARCH:XH99802/file_1 NOT FOUND
ajax  > FILLM1: FLDKIO: ERROR   2 OPENING FILE
ajax  > FILLM1: Error      8 opening VLA archive data disk file.
ajax  > FILLM1: FLMUV: FLMDAT error  8
ajax  > FILLM1: Read         0 visibilities from  0 files
ajax  > FILLM1: Appears to have ended successfully

When I copied the XH file and its file_1 subdirectory to the FITS
area, and set INFILE to 'FITS:XH99802/file_ FILLM ran fine.  At
first I assumed an ownership or privilege problem, but the error
remained after I had given ARCHIVE the same ownership and privi-
leges as FITS.  This made no sense!

Then, on a whim, I changed the environment variable from ARCH to
ARCHIVE, pointing to the same area.  That solved the problem!
Environment variable ARC also works.  It appears that ARCH is
a protected name, and it was my luck to stumble upon it.

Maybe this is documented somewhere, but if it isn't, maybe this
report is of some use to you.

Gustaaf