[daip] Re: BA048 (fwd)

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 25 09:11:06 EST 2003

(watching from the sidelines here; I'm no longer in the AIPS group but
this looks like a systems problem)...

> Dear Amy,

> I tried that and a got an error that I did get before (at the end of each
> file read from the disk). I guess I really should fix it first:

august> FITLD1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA01:SCD002002.05K;
august> FITLD1: ZERROR: IN ZRENA2 ERRNO = 1 (Operation not permitted)

Trying to rename it (ZRENA), but couldn't.

> Now, for some reason, the Data area created (as /mnt/dados/AUGUSTO_1)
> and all its contents belong to "root" (user and group).

Is this a filesystem local to your computer?  If it's NFS mounted, you may
have to do the 'chown' on the system serving the filesystem.  Root access
is not usually given on NFS mounts (for good reason).

> I have now tried to change this (being superuser) with:

> chown -R augusto: /mnt/dados/AUGUSTO_1/*

Why the colon?  Also, the wildcard is not needed:

    chown -R augusto /mnt/dados/AUGUSTO_1

is what I'd do.  But if it's failing:

> chown: changing ownership of `AUGUSTO_1/AGD002001.05K;': Operation not
>        permitted

What does the following produce:

     df -kl /mnt/dados/AUGUSTO_1/               # Show partition info
     mount | grep mnt/dados                     # see if it's rw, ro
     id -a
     ls -la /mnt/dados/AUGUSTO_1/               # (may be lots)

This is clearly a permissions problem, and these are the first steps you
should take to attempt to narrow down the problem.

The other thought that came to me (and I consider this highly unlikely) is
that somehow the directory and/or some files has/have been made immutable
via the chattr command.  Or the filesystem mounted in readonly mode (the
df and mount commands above should show if this is so).

Hope this helps.

                                - Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://goof.com/~pmurphy/     Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/