[daip] AIPS HELP

Eric Greisen egreisen at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Jul 8 10:50:36 EDT 2003

Rajib Saha msc phy writes:

 >   1]There are two versions of AIPS in the www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/
 >   homepage. Among the 31DEC03 and 31DEC02 versions which one should I
 >   prefer. I plan to
 >   install it in a linux machine (Linux version 8.0,Compiler 3.0).Is it
 >   possible to
 >   install 31DEC03 in this machine.In your homapage

       This should work fine.  The 31DEC02 is frozen, the 31DEC03
version has new things and bug fixes.  It changes a little most days,
but you can keep up with it via a "midnight job".

 >   http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/dec03.shtml
 >   it is mentioned that we need a Maclntosh OSX system for the installation
 >   of 31DEC03. Is it mandatory to have Maclntosh OSX system for
31DEC03.

    That is not what it says.  It says, IF you have a MacIntosh, THEN
you may also run aips.  The main systems that use aips are Linux and
Solaris.

 >   2] Is there any subscription fee to enter  in the managers list
 >   and  to get help from you during installation and afterwards if I need?

There is no fee whatsoever for aips.