[daip] Re: help with remote aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Jan 21 15:15:20 EST 2003

Janice Lee writes:
 > Hello Eric:
 >
 > I'm trying to run AIPS remotely from tucson
 > and am having problems getting the msgsrv and
 > other windows to appear on my screen.

     Tucson?  megrez is in Socorro, NM.

 > I've disabled access control with xhost,
 > set the DISPLAY environment variable, and
 > also have tried to specify the tv when starting
 > up AIPS.  What happens is the following:

 > megrez<12>% aips tv=janice at pompelmo.as.arizona.edu

     This tells aips to try to start TVs etc on pompelmo.  Read the
CookBook chapter 2 - or the aips help file or the aips man page (al
the same) to see what the tv= parameter does.  What you should do on
megrez is use tv=local to run XAS etc on megrez and to depend on the
$DISPLAY variable to allow the windows to appear on your machine.

     You do not want to use the single Inet version of the TVs on
megrez since that means the local user cannot use them.  The up to 36
Unix versions are better.

 > You have a choice of 17 printers.  These are:
 >
 > <...blah blah blah...>
 >
 > TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST janice at pompelmo.as.arizona.edu
 > ***
 > START_AIPS: Checking if janice at pompelmo.as.arizona.edu is reachable via
 > ssh...
 > janice at pompelmo.as.arizona.edu's password:
 > START_AIPS: Yes it is.  Telling janice at pompelmo.as.arizona.edu to start
 > VERSION=TST
 > START_AIPS: TV servers asynchronously with INET Socket...
 > START_AIPS: IF THIS FAILS, start AIPS yourself by hand on
 > janice at pompelmo.as.arizona.edu.

     This is trying to start on a computer called janice etc - DISPLAY
should be set to pompelmo.as.arizona.edu not to your e-mail address.