[daip] Need help building AIPS!

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Jan 14 20:19:11 EST 2003

Jonathan Adams writes:

 > Solaris 8 (patched and up to date)
 > Sun's compilers (WorkShop v6)
 > 31DEC02.safe release of AIPS

    That version was never supposed to be used.  It was a backup in
case of failure in the version overhaul and I have renamed it .old
just now.  The actual final 31DEC02 version has a couple weeks more
fixes in it (and already some manual patches).  You could use the MNJ
to update the version you have installed to get the last corrections
and then follow the patches page to install the extra patches.  But
first we have to figure out what failed

 >  The build proceeds nicely for quite some time, (hours), the fails during the
 > instep4 build with the errors:
 > --
 > INSTEP4    : Failure in $QPGOOP/...
 > INSTEP4    : compiling/linking.
 > INSTEP4    : Dies of unnatural causes at Mon Jan 13 19:02:21 PST
2003

     This is a summary remark saying that one of the programs in the
$QPGOOP area failed to compile.  Try:

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH    (if C or tc shell, else . LOGIN.SH)
$CDTST
cd $TST/$ARCH/INSTALL
grep -v "-" QPGOOP.LIS

This should list the failed program(s).  There may be in $PREP files
named pgm.LOG where pgm is the failed program.  In any case, the full
output of the linking is in INSTEP4.LOG.  Use an editor to find the
section(s) for the program(s) that failed and send me the text if the
error is not obvious to you (I do not expect it to be obvious).

Do check disk space - that can cause mysterious failure in the
install.