[daip] aips help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 27 12:22:05 EDT 2003

Robert Braun writes:
 > Hi Eric and Pat,
 >
 > Thanks for you quick responses. Our system people are still struggling
 > with my problem. Of your list, Eric:
 >
 > >      lockd
 > >      nfsd
 > >      rpciod
 > >      inetd
 >
 > both nfsd and inetd were not running in the first instance. After manually
 > starting nfsd and xinetd (which apparently replaces inetd in this version)
 > there was no difference in the error condition. A search on google with
 > SuSe 8.2 and file locking turns up lots of hits with: ERRNO = 37 (No locks
 > available) suggesting that this may be a fairly general and possibly still
 > open problem? Our system guys will continue tomorrow, but in the mean
 > time:
 >
 > As Pat points out, the $TSTMEM/MED000000; file is centrally located.
 >
 > Is there any way to get around the locking problem by providing a local
 > memory area for the machine in question? It seems a bit silly to demand
 > that this be a central resource doesn't it? On the other hand, there may
 > well be countless other locking problems that come up, or would they be
 > rather limited in number?

     AIPS will try to open it with locking in any case.  This is the
file that you RUN POPSGN on every time I add an adverb, verb, etc.
You do not want this to be local unless you like logging in to many
many machines and doing this RUN job.

 > Is it possible to disable file locking altogether in our installation, or
 > would this be disasterous in practise? We have of order 50
 > machines which are more-or-less single user.

You could have ZLOCK.C not return an error code.  This is posix
standard code however.

Eric