[daip] aips help

Robert Braun rbraun at astron.nl
Wed Aug 27 11:07:54 EDT 2003

Hi Eric and Pat,

Thanks for you quick responses. Our system people are still struggling
with my problem. Of your list, Eric:

>      lockd
>      nfsd
>      rpciod
>      inetd

both nfsd and inetd were not running in the first instance. After manually
starting nfsd and xinetd (which apparently replaces inetd in this version)
there was no difference in the error condition. A search on google with
SuSe 8.2 and file locking turns up lots of hits with: ERRNO = 37 (No locks
available) suggesting that this may be a fairly general and possibly still
open problem? Our system guys will continue tomorrow, but in the mean
time:

As Pat points out, the $TSTMEM/MED000000; file is centrally located.

Is there any way to get around the locking problem by providing a local
memory area for the machine in question? It seems a bit silly to demand
that this be a central resource doesn't it? On the other hand, there may
well be countless other locking problems that come up, or would they be
rather limited in number?

Is it possible to disable file locking altogether in our installation, or
would this be disasterous in practise? We have of order 50
machines which are more-or-less single user.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Braun                            |
NFRA                                    | E-mail:  "rbraun at astron.nl"
Postbus 2                               | Phone: (31)-521-595100
7990 AA Dwingeloo                       | Direct: (31)-521-595254
The Netherlands                         | FAX: (31)-521-597332