[daip] Re: aips: almost there

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Sep 30 13:27:57 EDT 2002

Pedro Manuel Augusto writes:

 > > Try removing the line
 > >
 > > -lreadline:0:$AIPPGM
 > >
 > > from LIBR.DAT.  That line and the GNU/libreadline lines seem perhaps
 > > to be in conflict.  I notice that replacing termcap with ncurses works
 > > fine on my RedHat system so it should work on mandrake.
 > >

 > THis worked fine. No complaints at all at the end of the ./INSTEP4
 > operation. Then I proceeded to the FILAIP, etc, used the default
 > parameters in the instructions.
 >
 > The very final bit gave me trouble just because I do not know which file
 > to change. It says to change the /etc/system file in my PC but I have no
 > such file. I have a /etc/sysconfig/system file with four lines containing
 > just "PAREMETER=value" an not the format that I am supposed to introduce.
 > I did this anyway and then got error after rebooting:
 > "/etc/init.d/madrake_everytime : sssin command not found" (and so on for
 > each of the following commands).
 >
 > How do I finalize the instalation correctly?

    You have confused two things - the file you want is /etc/services
to add the system services.  The /etc/system is for Solaris systems
which have a problem related to shared memory.

 > Something else. To what do I set the path for augusto, aips, etc (any
 > user in "users" group) to get aips running at the prompt by typing "aips"?
 > it is not working at the moment...

     At most places what we tell people to do is to dot the
$AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH (or source $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.CSH depending on
shell). This will add things to the path and define the minimum
necessary environment variables.

 > > Note that I still expect you to have a lot of trouble
 > > from the fact that you used root to install the code.
 >
 > After your advice many mails ago I have installed everything using the
 > "aips" account and not root.

       good.