[daip] Re: help on aips?

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Sep 30 13:21:31 EDT 2002

The symptoms you describe suggest to me that the LASTEXT Save/Get
file was damaged beyond repair by the power failure.  I do not
understand how that can happen unless you were exiting AIPS at the
time.  But I have seen this before.  These files are stored in your
first data area and have the name SGDuuu001.uuu; where uuu is your
user number in extended hex.  Had you but known, you could have
deleted this one file, started up again and had a default vocabulary
but all your data intact.

It is fortunate that there are backups of your data area.  We back up
work areas but not the aips data areas.

You could consider a new version of aips.  The install.pl process is
remarkably easy compared to what you had to do in 1998 and the package
has been substantially improved over the period.  See
               http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips
for details.

Cheers,