[daip] dec3102 error msg on solaris 2.5.1

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Sep 30 15:37:40 EDT 2002

I suspect that the difference between the two machines is not the OS
revision level but a hardware difference.  The compile procedure for
Ultra Solaris machines ($ARCH = SUL) calls for

      COMPSWIT="-c -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v8plusa -xlibmopt -dalign"

which makes a load module that runs well on Ultras, but will not run
on older hardware.  If the compiler is relatively up to date, then I
suspect that one can compile Ultra code on a non-Ultra.  I fear that
that is what you have done.  Non-Ultra machines must be installed as
$ARCH = SOL.

Note - non-Ultra machines are old and slow, so it may not be worth the
trouble to fix the problem.  A $1000 PC with Linux will greatly out
perform most SUNs, yet say a pre-Ultra box.