[daip] problems with installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Oct 10 10:38:50 EDT 2002

First, about user number, you may use any number other than 1.  The
idea, in the old days, was to separate users using the same computer.
If you are the only user, then any number is okay and users here now
employ several numbers simply to separate their various projects.
High numbers like 32000 will force some loops to go to very high
numbers and even on modern machines that is expensive.  32000 itself
will confuse the software since that is a magic number with a meaning
other than a real user number.

More importantly, your installation appears to have failed in the last
2 steps.  There must be control files like the SP and PW files that
appear to be missing from your messages.  To build these:

       cd $AIPS_ROOT
       source LOGIN.CSH   (or . LOGIN.SH depending on shell)
       $CDTST
       RUN FILAIP
       15 -100
       4 2
       6
       RUN POPSGN
       0 POPSDAT TST
       <CR>

The password is AMANAGER when FILAIP asks for it (if it does).

The most common origin of this problem is the failure to name the data
areas in a way that aips can recognize.  The host name (echo $HOST)
must occur in the name of the data area.  Then when the startup procs
read the $NET0/DADEVS.LIST and $NET0/NETSP files, they will recognize
which disks are to be used by the current host.  For example, here
where we have > 100 possible hosts, we have created link files named
e.g. /DATA/PRIMATE_1, /DATA/PRIMATE_2, etc - where the host name is
PRIMATE - so that the start up will know that primate uses them and
not the 100's of others in the list.

If the command sequence above has problems, check the DADEVS.LIST and
if fixing that does not help then e-mail me with the error messages
from the command sequence.