[daip] Problems with XAS Build in 31DEC02 AIPS Install

laurentm at bechtel.Colorado.EDU laurentm at bechtel.Colorado.EDU
Thu Oct 10 15:25:25 EDT 2002

Hi,

	I'm trying to upgrade my linux AIPS from 31DEC01 to 31DEC02.  At the
point in the installation where the wizard attempts to create the XAS, I'm
getting the following errors:

AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...

rm -f *.o xas XAS
c xas.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [xas.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c image.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [image.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c comm.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [comm.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c cursor.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [cursor.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c screen.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [screen.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c init.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [init.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c colors.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [colors.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c catalog.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [catalog.o] Error 127 (ignored)
xas.o image.o comm.o cursor.o screen.o init.o colors.o catalog.o -lXext -lX11 -lm  -o xas
make: xas.o: Command not found
make: *** [xas] Error 127
AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.

I remember when I installed the 31DEC01 version, I had to had edit the Makefile
in AIPS_ROOT/$myver/Y/SERVERS/XAS/ in order to get the right path to the c
compiler.  I checked that this time, and it was fine (and in fact found the
code in the install.pl script where you addressed this problem!).  I have
tried running the Makefile by hand and get the same errors.  If I run instead
make Makefile.old in that directory, I get a different set of errors:

> make -f Makefile.old
cc -I/include -DUSE_SHM -D_BSD -O -c xas.c
cc -I/include -DUSE_SHM -D_BSD -O -c image.c
cc -I/include -DUSE_SHM -D_BSD -O -c comm.c
cc -I/include -DUSE_SHM -D_BSD -O -c cursor.c
cc -I/include -DUSE_SHM -D_BSD -O -c screen.c
cc -I/include -DUSE_SHM -D_BSD -O -c init.c
cc -I/include -DUSE_SHM -D_BSD -O -c colors.c
cc -I/include -DUSE_SHM -D_BSD -O -c catalog.c
cc -L/lib -O xas.o image.o comm.o cursor.o screen.o init.o colors.o catalog.o -lXext -lX11 -lm -lXext -o xas
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lXext: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [xas] Error 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

						Thank You,