[daip] MNJ

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Nov 21 10:36:34 EST 2002

Andrzej Marecki writes:
 > > [...] Our solaris MNJ contains:
 > >
 > > # Get ar and cvs in the path...
 > > PATH=/opt/alpha/SUNWspro/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:$PATH; export PATH
 > > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/alpha/SUNWspro/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 > > PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/gnu/bin/cvs
 > > export PATH
 >
 > Eric,
 >
 > according to my recent experience with MNJ under Solaris /usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
 > is just enough. Setting the path for cvs is actually not necessary because it
 > is specified explicitly via cvscmd= line in $SYSLOCAL/UPDCONFIG. Similarly,
 > $SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH and $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH specify compilers' paths.
 >
 > OK, now let me ask a simple question: what is the "right" time to launch
 > MNJ (via cron)? Is mnj.aoc.nrao.edu updated continuously or does it run...
 > MNJ and so it's updated *once* per day (if fact: once per night) at a
 > given fixed time? If the latter is the case then, obviously, mnj.aoc.nrao.edu
 > should be contacted shortly after it has, itself, been updated.

mnj.aoc.nrao.edu rolls up its version at approximately 05 hours UT
yesterday it was 050321 to be exact.  Actually we do it at about 10 pm
local time which is 05 UT in winter and 04 in summer.  Running your
MNJ any time after that until the next day gets you the same thing.
cvs seems to put so small a load on our system that you are free to
run the MNJ whenevr you want - usually people do it before normal
working hours or well after so that things change when no one is using
them.  If you are running a 2-day IMAGR, it is possible that the MNJ
could cause it to fail if it rebuilds IMAGR and if the load modules
are accesssed over NFS (if they are loacl it survives the rebuild).