[daip] Failed to complie in INSTEP[34] on AXLINUX

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon May 20 10:33:18 EDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 14:32:21 +0900, Yas Murata <murata at vsop.isas.ac.jp> said:

> I am installing AIPS on Compaq Alpha machine (XP1000), Redhat 6.2 Linux
> operating system. We have already installed Compaq Fortran and Compaq C.
> While we are doing INSTEP3, or INSTEP4, we see the link error as follows:

> -----------------------------------------------------From INSTEP3.LOG --
> LINK      :            /mnt/AIPS/31DEC02/AXLINUX/LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :            /mnt/AIPS/31DEC02/AXLINUX/LIBR/APLAXLIN/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :             -s \
> LINK      :            -o /mnt/AIPS/31DEC02/AXLINUX/PREP/IMAGR.EXE
> /usr/bin/ld: /mnt/AIPS/31DEC02/AXLINUX/PREP/IMAGR.EXE: Not enough room for program headers (allocated 6, need 7)
> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> fort: Severe: Failed while trying to link.

What's your disk space situation like, especially /tmp and the /mnt/AIPS
partitions?  This looks suspiciously like a disk-full situation.

It could also be memory exhaustion; I've seen such things occasionally in
the past (though I don't think on alpha/linux; our only such AXLINUX
machine was decommisioned over a year ago).  Typically they occur in cron
jobs where a lot of compiles were done at once, and redoing the compile
and link on the problematic module (COMLNK $QPGOOP/IMAGR in this case)
interactively will work with no errors.

Hope this helps.

				- Pat