[daip] installing 31DEC01

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed May 15 11:20:40 EDT 2002

Neil Nagar writes:

 > Has the 31DEC01 install.pl script been tested in the case where
 > 31DEC00 already exists in the same AIPS root directory?

     Yes - I use it on all the sites I personally support.  That is
where the recommendation to use install.pl came from.

 > I've been running AIPS 31DEC00 for a year now, and am today
 > trying to install 31DEC01. Since install was recommended over
 > update, I used the corresponding install.pl script. I've now got
 > both versions
 > in the same root directory, i.e.  AIPS/31DEC00 and AIPS/31DEC01

    That would be what you wanted I would think.

 > The first time I ran the install.pl script, it didn't succeed in
 > installing XAS, but the INSTEP execution ended up updating the executables
 > in AIPS/31DEC00/LINUX/LOAD rather than the 31DEC01 equivalent. And the
 > installation process is not a state-machine: the second and third attempts
 > at installation give different results - now XAS installs okay, but
 > INSTEP2 crashes soon after because of the following:
 >
 > /export/home/nagar/neil/AIPS/31DEC01/SYSTEM/UNIX/PWD: CPWD: command not
 > found
 >
 > when it did this, and I looked in the CPWD.C file, I noticed that
 > during the installation
 > process $AIPS_VERSION is set to 31DEC00 rather than 31DEC01,
 > (even though $myvers is correctly set in the install.pl script)
 > and wonder whether other such SETENV mixups would cause problems
 > in the case of `install'ing a new version when an older working
 > version exists.

    I think you have overlooked some error messages along the way that
were significant.  CPWD is not used in aips at this time - the
compilation of PWD in your $SYSLOCAL has failed and this error message
is the fall-back condition that results.

    There is no way that the install of 01 can replace the 00 files
unles the system names get messed up.  What is the version name in the
install.pl file you are using?  Is it the current file provided along
with the tar ball on the web site (128237 bytes dated Feb 15, 2002)?
Did the 00 LOAD area get updated with 00 code or 01 code?

    What does $AIPS_ROOT/AIPSPATH.SH say is the TST version, NEW
version?

    The most probably source of confusion may go back to the file
in your home area called .AIPSRC - look at it.  It may be best to
start over beginning with deleting that file.

BTW - I am leaving on vacation 5/12 so get back to me fast.

Eric