[daip] installing 31DEC01

Neil Nagar neil at arcetri.astro.it
Tue May 14 08:53:23 EDT 2002

Ciao, a little question I would really appreciate help with:

Has the 31DEC01 install.pl script been tested in the case where
31DEC00 already exists in the same AIPS root directory?

I've been running AIPS 31DEC00 for a year now, and am today
trying to install 31DEC01. Since install was recommended over
update, I used the corresponding install.pl script. I've now got
both versions
in the same root directory, i.e.  AIPS/31DEC00 and AIPS/31DEC01

The first time I ran the install.pl script, it didn't succeed in
installing XAS, but the INSTEP execution ended up updating the executables
in AIPS/31DEC00/LINUX/LOAD rather than the 31DEC01 equivalent. And the
installation process is not a state-machine: the second and third attempts
at installation give different results - now XAS installs okay, but
INSTEP2 crashes soon after because of the following:

/export/home/nagar/neil/AIPS/31DEC01/SYSTEM/UNIX/PWD: CPWD: command not
found

when it did this, and I looked in the CPWD.C file, I noticed that
during the installation
process $AIPS_VERSION is set to 31DEC00 rather than 31DEC01,
(even though $myvers is correctly set in the install.pl script)
and wonder whether other such SETENV mixups would cause problems
in the case of `install'ing a new version when an older working
version exists.

thanks,
Neil.