[daip] AIPS and Mandrake

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Jun 10 18:59:36 EDT 2002

Dear Tyler,

Our AIPS installation guru is away for a few days, but I did
find that an installation on a Mandrake 8.0 machine worked.
Although there were a few changes that needed to be made to
the installation script.  I don't know if these changes will
be the same for Mandrake 8.2.  You could wait 2 days until our
expert gets back or you could try it and see how far you get.
I can try to help you with the somewhat limited information I
have about installing AIPS on a Mandrake 8.0 machine.

A separate, but related, issue is you need to make sure you
are using the correct compiler.  The GNU 2.96, 3.0.3 and 3.0.4
compiler sets have been found to be a problem for AIPS, although
you will still need them to install your operating system.  Read
the yellow box on the AIPS web site (http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/)
under the "RedHat Linux Versions..." heading.  There is a link
which will tell you how to get and install the correct compiler.

Cheers,

Amy