[daip] adding a workstation

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Fri Jan 4 23:10:51 EST 2002

I suspect the regular AIP's are not online right now... I'n not really one
myself anymore, but this is a fairly simple issue:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:07:22 -0800, Piner Glenn <gpiner at mail.whittier.edu>
   said:

> I have just setup a 3rd workstation and am trying to
> run AIPS on it.
> I have done the following:
> +added the new machine to the HOSTS.LIST and TPHOSTS files.
> +added the required lines to the /etc/services file.

You need to do this while logged in as whatever account is your aips
management account (aipsmgr, aips, gpiner, whatever):

  SYSETUP QUASAR3

SYSETUP is a shell script that creates and populates the host-specific
areas for each machine specified (or all hosts if none are specified).
The script lives in $SYSUNIX, which is in your PATH as long as you have
sourced (or dotted) the relevant LOGIN.CSH or LOGIN.SH file.  It does rely
on the $TST/$ARCH/TEMPLATE/ directory existing and being populated.

If you don't have a /home/aips/15OCT99/LINUX/TEMPLATE/ directory with
about 30 or so uppercase files in it (ACD000000; and others), then before
running SYSTEUP you should (a) create the template area, and (b) copy the
contents of an existing DA00/ area to it, e.g.:

         cd /home/aips
         mkdir 15OCT99/LINUX/TEMPLATE
         cp DA00/QUASAR1/* 15OCT99/LINUX/TEMPLATE/

and then

         SYSETUP QUASAR3

> Yet when I try and start AIPS on the new machine
> it dies horribly.  It is interesting that it complains
> about not having the service sssin, even though I did
> add that line along with the others to the /etc/services
> file.  Am I missing something else that I need to do to
> add a machine to the cluster?

> Here is the output I get when I try to start AIPS:

> XAS: sssin is not a service
> XAS: Check /etc/services or YP/NIS services map

Look at your /etc/nsswitch.conf for services.  My laptop has:

  #services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
  services:   files nisplus

You can see I changed the order to look at the file first (/etc/services)
and only then try yellow pages/NIS(plus).

				- Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/    Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/