[daip] aips compilation question

Gabe Prochter gprochtr at igpp.ucllnl.org
Mon Jan 7 16:28:14 EST 2002

Hello, I'm in the process of trying to compile AIPS using the Intel
fortran/C compilers.  I haven't met with much success as of yet and am far
from convinced that the exercise is even possible.  I have compiled PP,
which is a start, but it has been giving me some problems I cannot
explain.  When I run it on it's own, as:

[aips at UCBOB INSTALL]$ /local/disk1/INTEL_AIPS/31DEC01/SYSTEM/UNIX/PP
/local/disk1/INTEL_AIPS/31DEC01/AIPS/SUB/ADVERB.FOR
PP        : Preprocess /local/disk1/INTEL_AIPS/31DEC01/AIPS/SUB/ADVERB.FOR
PP        : into       /local/disk1/INTEL_AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/ADVERB.f
/local/disk1/INTEL_AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/ADVERB.f

it seems to run without problems.  When I run the script INSTEP2, the
following occurs:

COMRPL    : Date       Mon Jan  7 11:37:05 PST 2002
cp: cannot stat `PPOPEN:': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `CAN\'T': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `TRANSLATE': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `LOGICAL': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `=': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `PPINFIL': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `PP(': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `):': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `CAN\'T': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `OPEN': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `THE': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `INPUT': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `FILE': No such file or directory
COMRPL    : Copy of     PPOPEN: CAN'T TRANSLATE LOGICAL = PPINFIL
 PP(    ): CAN'T OPEN THE INPUT FILE
COMRPL    : to         /local/disk1/INTEL_AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/LIBR/AIPSUB
COMRPL    : Failed!
COMRPL    : Leave      /local/disk1/INTEL_AIPS/31DEC01/AIPS/SUB/ADVERB.FOR
COMRPL    : in
/local/disk1/INTEL_AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/INSTALL/AIPSUB.LIS
COMRPL    : unchanged as it FAILED to compile.
COMRPL    : Date       Mon Jan  7 11:37:06 PST 2002
cp: cannot stat `PPOPEN:': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `CAN\'T': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `TRANSLATE': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `LOGICAL': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `=': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `PPINFIL': No such file or directory

Needless to say, the instillation fails.  My question is this:  does the
INSTEP2 script call PP differently than I do when I successfully call the
program?  Are different arguments used, or something to that effect?

Thanks for any light you can shed,
Gabe Prochter