[daip] adding a workstation

Piner Glenn gpiner at mail.whittier.edu
Fri Jan 4 20:07:22 EST 2002

Hello,

I am currently running AIPS 15OCT99 on a set of two
Linux workstations.

I have just setup a 3rd workstation and am trying to
run AIPS on it.
I have done the following:
+added the new machine to the HOSTS.LIST and TPHOSTS files.
+added the required lines to the /etc/services file.

Yet when I try and start AIPS on the new machine
it dies horribly.  It is interesting that it complains
about not having the service sssin, even though I did
add that line along with the others to the /etc/services
file.  Am I missing something else that I need to do to
add a machine to the cluster?

Here is the output I get when I try to start AIPS:

quasar3.whittier.edu[gpiner]: aips
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the Physics Office
START_AIPS:  - system name epsonsty, AIPS type PS-CMYK

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /home/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/QUASAR1_1
   Disk 2 (2) is /home/aips/DATA/QUASAR1_2
   Disk 3 (3) is /home/aips/DATA/QUASAR1_3
   Disk 4 (4) is /home/aips/DATA/QUASAR1_4

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: You seem to be at a workstation called quasar3
TVDEVS.SH: Starting TV servers on quasar3 asynchronously
TVDEVS.SH:  - with Internet Sockets...
TVDEVS.SH: Starting TPMON daemons on QUASAR3 asynchronously...
Starting up 15OCT99 AIPS with normal priority
ZDCHI1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
 ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 15OCT99) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
 ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   5
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   5
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on quasar3
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start XAS on quasar3, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: Using screen width height 1014 668, max grey level 255
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: sssin is not a service
XAS: Check /etc/services or YP/NIS services map
TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
XAS: Quitting NOW.
XASERVERS: TEKSRV is already running on host quasar3, display :0, user
gpiner
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on quasar3, DISPLAY :0
1000
AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:PWD000000;          NOT FOUND
quasar3.whittier.edu[gpiner]:

Thanks for your help,

Glenn Piner