[daip] pc suse linux 7.0 aips tv

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Dec 12 11:35:08 EST 2002

Wolfgang Batrla writes:

 > thanks for your swift answer. i have to apologize for all the typos in
 > my first mail.

    No worries - I respond fast or I lose the mail...

 >     * i added a printer and updated the PRDEVS.LIST accordingly.
 >     * the rights on all the XAS* files were -rw-rw-r--. i made the files
 >       executable. no complaints anymore.
 >     * i added the quarter inch cassette drive to  TPDEVS.LIST.

    good

 > >help
 >
 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       HELP
 > >exit

This looks like your LASTEXIT SAVE/GET file has been trashed.  This
seems to be happening a good bit lately but I can find no reason for
it.  Anyway go to your first data area and delete the file
           SGD0Z0001.0Z0;
and then aips should start normally.

 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       EXIT
 >
 > whenever the TPMON[*] are started, the error message
 >
 > ZVTP03: tcp/aipsmt[*-1] is not a service
 > ZVTP03: check /etc/services or NIS map!
 >
 > pops up on the console. in the message server window
 >
 > TPMON[*]: Purports to die of UNNATURAL CAUSE number 6

     You need to add system services to the file /etc/services (or
yellow page YP services if you use that system):

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4

This will also let you use TVs with the INET scheme rather than
tv=local.

 > starting up aips using: aips TV=local TPOK
 >
 > results in no TPMON[*] error messages.

    This says to start no tape daemons so no error from them failing.

 > there is one other funny thing i encountered. i entered my good old aips user number of 1260 - which i still could remember after not having laid my hands on aips for 13 years. that seemed to work perfectly for some time. how i ended up in the current state i could not reproduce, but now whatever command i enter as user 1260 - be it HELP or EXIT or ... - results in the prompt SYMBOL? and all i can do ist kill aips with ^C.
 > i use any other user number out of USERNO.LIS and everything works just fine. what went wrong?

See above - the LASTEXIT for that number is trashed somehow - all
others do not have a lASTEXIT or have a good one.

Cheers,