[daip] Re: aips install question

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Sun Apr 21 16:34:09 EDT 2002

George Heald writes:

 > My name is George Heald; I'm at the U of New Mexico. I recently attempted
 > to install 31DEC02 on my RedHat 7.2 machine and have run into some
 > problems. First off, I have installed the correct compiler set as
 > suggested (gcc-2.95.3), and have looked fairly hard online for answers to
 > my question. The problem comes when using the Install Wizard:
 >
 > ----
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:52:22: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:53:23: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:54:24: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:81:33: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory
 > make: *** [xas.o] Error 1
 > AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
 > AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.
 > AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::
 > ----

      This suggests that X11 was not installed on your computer.
These .h files should be in the area /usr/include/X11.

 > I found an old help article which indicated that 16-bit color depth might
 > be the problem. However my display is set for 24-bit color. It appears
 > that there are some missing header files but I don't know exactly where
 > they should be located. Can you offer some assistance?

      The 16/24 bit is a run time problem and you seem to be ready to
run if we can only compile

 > I've also had problems with compiling the libraries at the end of the
 > process ("wimpy" compiler errors), but I have found some help online which
 > I need to sift through.

Send me some of the messages and let me see what you are getting.  The
on-line help will probably not help....