[daip] question about dd command

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Apr 18 15:39:33 EDT 2002

The dd command you quote is for use with aips++ and is therefore not
of interest to you verbatim.

But let me ask a more fundamental question: what do you hope to do
with these files should you load them disk?  Do you have programs that
will operate on them?  If you have a program that reads FITS files
from disk, then you will have to use dd to copy them.  Replace the
of="output-file-name" portion of the dd command with a name more
appropriate to your computers, rather than one that applies to the
computer pecos under aips++ in the AOC.

CfA does have at least one, if not more than one, installation of
AIPS.  See Shoshonna Rosenthal - or ask Mark Reid, Lincoln Greenhill,
Lynn Matthews, et al. about it.  Note that, I assume, the files on
tape were written with FITTP or FITAB in AIPS.  If that is so, then
the program in AIPS to use to read them back is FITAB for FITS files
rather than FILLM (which is used solely for raw data directly from the
VLA).