[daip] aips SAVE files

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Nov 20 17:02:20 EST 2001

Shami Chatterjee writes:
 > Hi:
 > Due to the increasing clutter of files, I'm using multiple aips user IDs
 > on my system. To preserve the many "standard" inputs I use, I'd like to
 > be able to copy SAVE files between user IDs (from 0ZA to 0RS, say).
 >
 > I tried something like
 >
 > cp -p SGD0ZA002.0ZA\; SGD0RS002.0RS\;
 >
 > but aips ("SGIN") does not recognise the new save file. On the other
 > hand, creating a new save file gives me an "Overwriting existing file"
 > warning, so I did have the right file location...
 >
 > Is there any way to do this correctly, or is it simply impossible?

We have never provided a method for this  - the names of the SAVE/GET
files are stored in an index file SGDuuu000.uuu; to do the translation
from a meaningful name to a number.  I suspect I could write a pseudo
verb that would allow you to

   GET xxxx
   userid = nnn
   USERSAVE yyy

to create a new SAVE file under user nnn.  Overwriting should not be
allowed but creation could go.

I will look into this

Eric