[daip] Re: RedHat 7.0

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue May 29 21:42:25 EDT 2001

thlee writes:

 >   I am using AIPS 31DEC01 version on RedHat Linux version 7.0 and just
 > found out that I cannot use TVFLG. It takes forever to make the master
 > grid file. I am wondering if anyone experienced the same problem? Is it
 > caused by the RedHat 7.0? Would this problem go away if I update it to
 > RedHat 7.1? Please give me some suggestions as to how to solve the
 > problem.
 >
 >   Thank you in advance for your help.

The compiler that is shipped with RedHat 7.0 and 7.1 is unusable for
AIPS.  The optimiser makes lots of error in TVFLG and IMAGR and other
places.  The update to redhat 7.1 is good for other reasons but you
have to install the version 2.95 (.3 is good) version of the compilers
(somewhere other than /usr/bin) and have the aips procs FDEFAULT,
CCOPTS, LDOPTS use that version of the compiler.  The gnu compilaer
group has washed their hands of this unautorized version of their
compilers.

Eric Greisen

BTW - this is the 4th site with this problem today!