[daip] Re: RedHat 7.0

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue May 29 21:50:16 EDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001 19:42:25 -0600, Eric Greisen
   <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu> said:

> The compiler that is shipped with RedHat 7.0 and 7.1 is unusable for
> AIPS....

> BTW - this is the 4th site with this problem today!

Sounds like we could do everyone a service by coming up with a recipe for
installing gcc 2.95[.3] on a 7.x system.  Something like:

    1) ftp.gnu.org, get gcc...tar.gz (just one file?)
    2) cd /somewhere/good; mv gcc...tar.gz .
    3) tar zxvf gcc...tar.gz
    4) more README; more INSTALL
    5) ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    6) make
    7) su; make install

or some variation on this theme, especially if we could find an RPM
containing the 2.95 compiler that was either relocatable or had /usr/local
as the prefix.

				- Pat