[daip] compile problems with 31DEC01

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue May 8 13:30:11 EDT 2001

On Tue, 08 May 2001 11:21:33 -0400, Michael Ledlow <mledlow at gemini.edu> said:

> I downloaded the 31DEC01 distribution today and tried an install.  I get
> the following errors:
> /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/SYSTEM/GEMCHILE...

> PP.f:
  <snip>
> __e_wsfe_pv                         PP.o
> __e_rsfe_pv                         PP.o
> __s_wsFe_pv                         PP.o
> __e_wsle_pv                         PP.o
> __s_rsFe_pv                         PP.o
> __do_f_out_pv                       PP.o
> __do_f_in_pv                        PP.o
> __s_wsle_pv                         PP.o
> __do_l_out_pv                       PP.o

I don't recognize these module names; they look like they're internal to
the compiler.  We are still at Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 5.6) here at NRAO/CV
though we're slowly moving towards Sol 8.  Also, we're still using the
SC4.2 compilers.

> The output of uname -a on this machine is:

> SunOS aguila 5.7 Generic_106541-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

IIRC we have in fact run the existing (2.6, SC4.2 generated) binaries on a
5.7 machine.  However:

> This is with the normal SUN compilers, looks like it is WS Version 6,
> Update 1.

Then you're several versions ahead of us.

The specific problem above can be replicated by cd'ing to the
SUL/SYSTEM/GEMCHILE/ directory; there you should find a PP.f symbolic link
to the PP.FOR file in $SYSUNIX, as well as a ZTRLOP.o object file.  The
command used to attempt the compile/link to make PP.EXE will be:

    $FORT -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o

where $FORT expands to whatever is defined in FDEFAULT.SH, probably
something like /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77.  Note that the install.pl script
assumes that the Fortran options defined (FORTOPT in your ~/.AIPSRC file)
are not needed for this simple compile.

The UNSHR error is essentially the exact same thing.

If you can get the preprocessor (PP.EXE) and the UNSHR program compiled
correctly by hand, you can probably re-run the install.pl script.  It
skips the relevant sections if things like PP.EXE are already built.

Hope this helps.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                   Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
  Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/      Work: http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/