[daip] a TV display problem on a linux machine

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Fri Jun 22 18:59:10 EDT 2001

Hi Eric,

I attach the transcript below.  To clarify, it is not just the
interactive use of TV but all types of TV commands.  In the
example below, I did TVLOD and TVINIT.  The TV screen clears
after the TVINIT command, but both the TV and the command window
freezes right after that.  As for the installation, Chris Taylor
did binary installation and did not use a local compiler (sounds
like this was more than a year ago...).  Should we just scrap
this and try to re-install the latest version?

					-- Min

>  > The TV server starts normally, and we can give one simple
>
>        Can you send me a transcript of the startup beginning with the
> aips command and going untill all the startup messages are done?
>
>  > TV command successfully such as TVINIT or even TVLOD.
>  > Any TV command we issue after that hangs up the TV device
>  > AND the aips command window, as if the command window is
>  > expecting some response back from the TV server.  The
>  > problem seems to have a little more depth to it than that
>  > because we can do TVLOD, followed by TVPSEUD, and the
>  > command window manages to give us the interaction options like
>  > what each tv buttons do, etc., before hanging up.  We
>  > tried killing all old TV processes and AIPS processes and
>  > rebooting the computer, but the problem persists.
>  >
>  > Is this a known AIPS problem? or is it a Linux problem?
>  > Any suggestion you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
>
>   No this is not a known problem with Linux or AIPS.  What version of
> the Linux operating system are you running and what version of the
> compiler?  (Enter g77 -v to see that.)  It appears that it is failing
> to read back the cursor in the interactive operations (TVPS) and is
> waiting for it to come back from there.  (I assume that you remember
> well to hold the left mouse button down in the window and all that and
> know to use button A or F3 through D or F6, the last to exit.)
>
>  > p.s. We have installed 31DEC99 version.

AIPS_VERSION=/aips1/31DEC99
aips at cutthroat:~$ aips
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the jam
START_AIPS:  - system name lp, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using CUTTHROAT-specific file /aips1/DA00/CUTTHROAT/DADEVS.LIST)
   Disk 1 (1) is /aips1/DATA/CUTTHROAT_1
   Disk 2 (2) is /aips1/DATA/CUTTHROAT_2

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is Cutthroat Linux tape drive on CUTTHROAT
   Tape 2 is REMOTE
   Tape 3 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: You seem to be at a workstation called cutthroat
TVDEVS.SH: Starting TV servers on cutthroat asynchronously
TVDEVS.SH:  - with Internet Sockets...
TVDEVS.SH: Starting TPMON daemons on CUTTHROAT asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC99 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC99) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on cutthroat
XASERVERS: Start XAS on cutthroat, DISPLAY :0.0
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on cutthroat, DISPLAY :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on cutthroat, DISPLAY :0.0
2000
AIPS 1:                          31DEC99 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

>getn 1
AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 1  user=2000   type=MA   LHEX4.ICL001.1