[daip] a TV display problem on a linux machine

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Jun 22 19:09:20 EDT 2001

Min S. Yun writes:

 > I attach the transcript below.  To clarify, it is not just the
 > interactive use of TV but all types of TV commands.

         I guess it is the second use ?

  In the
 > example below, I did TVLOD and TVINIT.  The TV screen clears
 > after the TVINIT command, but both the TV and the command window
 > freezes right after that.  As for the installation, Chris Taylor
 > did binary installation and did not use a local compiler (sounds
 > like this was more than a year ago...).  Should we just scrap
 > this and try to re-install the latest version?

     Yes I would recommend that.  I did major improvements to XAS June
7, 2000 which would be good to have.  I remember someone else bringing
up this problem but then stoping e-mails before I knew of any
resolution.  I have not heard any more for a long time (year or more)
on the matter.  Try the new one.

31DEC99 was never available as a binary installation so you had to
compile it locally.  The latest version (31DEC01) is under active
developement and is only available as source code also.  31DEC00 - a
frozen version of 31DEC99 with some changes is available with binary.

I bring up the compiler issue not for XAS but the rest of aips since
RedHat is now ditributing a defective compiler disowned by the
compiler group at gnu.  (See the box on the first aips www page.)

Eric