[daip] a TV display problem on a linux machine

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Jun 21 18:00:19 EDT 2001

Min S. Yun writes:

 > The TV server starts normally, and we can give one simple

       Can you send me a transcript of the startup beginning with the
aips command and going untill all the startup messages are done?

 > TV command successfully such as TVINIT or even TVLOD.
 > Any TV command we issue after that hangs up the TV device
 > AND the aips command window, as if the command window is
 > expecting some response back from the TV server.  The
 > problem seems to have a little more depth to it than that
 > because we can do TVLOD, followed by TVPSEUD, and the
 > command window manages to give us the interaction options like
 > what each tv buttons do, etc., before hanging up.  We
 > tried killing all old TV processes and AIPS processes and
 > rebooting the computer, but the problem persists.
 >
 > Is this a known AIPS problem? or is it a Linux problem?
 > Any suggestion you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

  No this is not a known problem with Linux or AIPS.  What version of
the Linux operating system are you running and what version of the
compiler?  (Enter g77 -v to see that.)  It appears that it is failing
to read back the cursor in the interactive operations (TVPS) and is
waiting for it to come back from there.  (I assume that you remember
well to hold the left mouse button down in the window and all that and
know to use button A or F3 through D or F6, the last to exit.)