[daip] a TV display problem on a linux machine

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Thu Jun 21 17:18:44 EDT 2001

We have one linux box designated for running aips.  Chris
Taylor installed aips about a year ago, and it appears to
work correctly.  However, none of us recall using the TV
display on it since, and we just encountered an unusual behavior
when using the TV display.

The TV server starts normally, and we can give one simple
TV command successfully such as TVINIT or even TVLOD.
Any TV command we issue after that hangs up the TV device
AND the aips command window, as if the command window is
expecting some response back from the TV server.  The
problem seems to have a little more depth to it than that
because we can do TVLOD, followed by TVPSEUD, and the
command window manages to give us the interaction options like
what each tv buttons do, etc., before hanging up.  We
tried killing all old TV processes and AIPS processes and
rebooting the computer, but the problem persists.

Is this a known AIPS problem? or is it a Linux problem?
Any suggestion you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

					-- Min

p.s. We have installed 31DEC99 version.

Min S. Yun				e-mail: myun at astro.umass.edu
Assistant Professor			phone:  (413) 545-2215
Astronomy Department			FAX:    (413) 545-4223
University of Massachusetts             http://www.astro.umass.edu/~myun
Amherst, MA 01003