[daip] Setting up a remote system

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Feb 13 12:07:14 EST 2001

Chris Stockdale writes:

 > Now I've been given another task.  One of the faculty heard I was trying to
 > AIPS on another machine and wants it on their Sun.  The question I want to ask
 > is can I do I complete install (its a faster machine) and link all of
 > the AIPS data disks together?  I assume so, it looks like it is outlined in the
 > FAQ.  I am starting on her computer from scratch with the 31DEC01.tar.gz
 > tarball.  While doing the installation, I assume I can use the same site
 > name.  Just when I felt comfortable doing AIPS on 1 machine, now I get
 > a ``network''.  Congrats on the move, say hi to Michael for me.

         You do not need to do an install.  Just have her machine
mount the disks on your solaris machine and add her to the HOSTS.LIST.
She will need recognizable data areas (with her host name in them) in
DADEVS.LIST etc and a DA00 area in the same $NET0 area.

Log in to the aoc and cd /AIPS - look at our structure and you will
see how we support multiple architectures etc with one copy of the
source code.  The mnj for a second architecture feeds off the main one
too - avoiding all sorts of copies etc

Eric