[daip] Setting up a remote system

Eric Greisen egreisen at NRAO.EDU
Mon Feb 12 17:48:03 EST 2001

Chris Stockdale writes:

 > I am using  SunOS 5.5.1 to AIPS 31DEC01 on a SUN sparc 10.  I am trying to
 > setup so that I can run remotely from a LINUX machine.   I am having trouble
 > geting the AIPS TV, Tek, and Message servers to run properly.  This
 > is the first time I've tried to set up a remote system.  Anyhelp would
 > be appreciated.

Usually, in this situation, one makes a partial Linux installation.
There is even a kind of MNJ for such installations.  But you can also
run with $DISPLAY set to your LInux box and TV=local on the aips
command line.  This may be a bit slow but it should be okay.

Let us know what you have tried and send up all messages that appear
as you try to startup aips (incl the command you use).

Eric