[daip] Aips Problem (fwd)

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Feb 13 12:03:26 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:44:44 -0700, Eric Greisen
   <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu> said:

> Anthony Holloway writes:

>> We've got a problem with one of the Linux AIPS installations. The
>> students had turned off machine without closing down I suspect.

Fun.  NOT!

>> Everything seems to be working apart from one task - LWPLA.

This smells like a bad save/get file to me.  Is this behaviour tied to a
particular user number?  If so, then that's the problem; nuke the SG files
for that user in the data area that happens to be "disk 1".  Contact me
for details if you need guidance.

If not, then it's possible the memory files may be damaged.  You can get
fresh memory files from our ftp server, or you can try deleting them and
regenerating.  Again, if you're not sure how to proceed, contact me
directly.

The other possible problem could be damage to the LWPLA.EXE file itself,
though this seems extremely unlikely.  Quick checks like "ldd" and "nm"
may reveal any such damage.

>> fault persists...it also persists on several user numbers I tried.

Ah; that answers my question.  It may be the memory file then.  Try
regenerating it:

             bash$ . /wherever/LOGIN.SH
             bash$ $CDTST
             AIPS_VERSION=/wherever/31DEC01
             bash$ RUN POPSGN
             0 POPSDAT TST
             >                          <press ENTER when this appears>
             bash$ aips notv tpok pr=1
             > INPUTS LWPLA
             > GO LWPLA

and see if that cures the problem.

>> If not I guess a reinstall of aips will solve matters.

I agree with Eric; this would be extreme, unless you want the latest
31DEC01 version and only have 31DEC00 or 31DEC99.

Also, if we can see the actual output (cut/pasted) that might help.  Often
there are obscure but revealing clues...

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                   Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
  Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/      Work: http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/