[daip] install.pl

Lorant Sjouwerman, JIVE sjouwerm at jive.nl
Thu Feb 1 11:22:26 EST 2001

#Yup.  The version on our ftp site had this fixed recently.  And the CD
#that's about to go out also has it fixed.  Sorry about that.

OK, I got the new install.pl and wrote down some other thingies I
encountered to get through the whole installation without problems. I used
host juw14; SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10. It
could be that some comments are due to this (older) operating system, but
it might of use. I will also try update.pl later - so far I've always done
it the old way.. But this script indeed makes it easier to install.

If you like I can try it on our Linux PC too, but haven't gotten to it yet.

But before I give you my list, maybe I should say that our institute
somehow hasn't got ssh running properly - I haven't run the MNJ since you
switched to secure shell. That is why I haven't informed you about the
newer compiler options we use at the NFRA site, but I guess now would be a
good time. FDEFAULT.SH is okay, no NFRA specific settings
CCOPTS: please *add* to the NFRA options, both for SOL and SUL
        -dalign  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
LDOPTS: please *add* to the NFRA options, both for SOL and SUL
        -dalign -L/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.7.2.3/ -lgcc
        and please *add* for NFRA for LINUX
        LINK="-L/usr/lib/termcap -ltermcap"

Any idea when large file sizes can be handeld within Linux?

So here are my (few) notes:

- at SCREEN_11 in the Solaris section the automatic memory size
determination fails. Because the screen refreshes, it took me a while to
be able to read the error message :
   Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .
   sh: mem: not found
I think the error is caused by the "^" in line 1799:
    open(FOO, "dmesg 2>/dev/null | grep ^mem|");
which I changed in
    open(FOO, "dmesg 2>/dev/null | grep mem|");
and that seems to work better.

- btw: I find a similar error message in INSTEP4; in line 141 I escaped
the "^" in the grep option:       n=`grep -v \^- $AREA.LIS | wc -l`
It is not a show stopper because 'yes' by default is set to 'good', but
getting error messages makes me always feel uncomfortable..

- the automatic compiler change in the makefile for XAS is really nice,
forgot to tell you that in my email yesterday, however I still have to stop
the install process to also modify LOCALOPTS_SUL (and SOL) to get rid of
the "-K PIC -Xa". If you know the Sun compiler has changed from the native,
I suggest to also modify LOCALOPTS at the same time.

- could you also make the automatic compiler change for MAKE.MNJ ? It has
two times a 'cc' in it and which I have to change in gcc after stopping the
script (before it tries to make the mnj).

Hope it is of any use, thanks for the efforts to make installing AIPS
easier anyway.

Groets,

Lorant Sjouwerman -- JIVE Support Scientist -- sjouwerman at jive.nl
c/o Joint Institute for VLBI in Europe     Phone:  +31-521-596517
Radiosterrenwacht Dwingeloo, Postbus 2     Switch: +31-521-596500
    7990 AA Dwingeloo, the Netherlands     Fax:    +31-521-597332

                                              ...(End of Message)