[daip] Upgrading AIPS

EDI Starlink Manager star at roe.ac.uk
Tue Aug 28 10:49:17 EDT 2001

Hello

I hope I'm directing this enquiry to the correct username.

I currently have the 15APR99 version of AIPS installed on a Compaq XP1000,
running v5.1 of Tru64 UNIX.  It's located in a filesystem which currently has
164MB free;  the installation itself takes just about 400MB.

I'm contemplating upgrading the installation to 31DEC00, but am somewhat put
off by one of the pre-requisites listed on your WWW page which asks for 500MB
of space.

What I'd like to know is if it is possible to carry out this upgrade in the
current location, or whether even the upgrade is likely to require more than
the 164MB currently available.  If so, of course, I'd have to transfer the
current installation to a bigger filesystem, and then carry out the upgrade
there, but I'm trying to avoid having to do this.

(I take it that it's preferable to do an upgrade, rather than a complete
installation of 31DEC00;  I'm assuming all the current customisations will
survive an upgrade, whereas a new installation would require re-customising.)

Any help you can provide would be gratefully received.

Regards

John Barrow (Joint Starlink Site Manager)
UK Astronomy Technology Centre     Tel.   : +44 (0)131 668 8377 (direct)
Royal Observatory                           +44 (0)131 668 8100 (switchboard)
Blackford Hill                     Fax.   : +44 (0)131 668 8264
Edinburgh EH9 3HJ  UK              E-mail : star at roe.ac.uk