[daip] Upgrading AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Aug 28 11:16:12 EDT 2001

EDI Starlink Manager writes:
 > I hope I'm directing this enquiry to the correct username.

       Yes

 > I currently have the 15APR99 version of AIPS installed on a Compaq XP1000,
 > running v5.1 of Tru64 UNIX.  It's located in a filesystem which currently has
 > 164MB free;  the installation itself takes just about 400MB.

       I am not familiar with this architecture.  Our Linux load
module area alone in 31DEC00 uses 200 Mbytes of disk.  The libraries
add 12 Mbytes and the source code will take more.  Therefore 164
Mbytes will not do.

 > I'm contemplating upgrading the installation to 31DEC00, but am somewhat put
 > off by one of the pre-requisites listed on your WWW page which asks for 500MB
 > of space.

     It does take this when one has various data files and the like.
Some of those you already have.  The 500 Mbytes is a deliberate over
estimate to encourage you to have more than enough. Squeezing on disk
is plain silly - it will cost more in your salary and mine than a 20
Gbyte disk.

 > (I take it that it's preferable to do an upgrade, rather than a complete
 > installation of 31DEC00;  I'm assuming all the current customisations will
 > survive an upgrade, whereas a new installation would require re-customising.)

It depends on what you mean by customization.  The files to control
hosts, disks, tapes, printers and the like are retained and the
general DA00 area control files are the same.  One can do an
installation with install.pl for a single computer and then copy the
control files and make pointers to the DA00 files.  You may find that
simpler than moving the 15APR99 which will probably be abandoned once
a more modern version is installed.