[daip] Re: Linux 7.0 gcc compiler version 2.6

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Aug 17 12:06:59 EDT 2001

Grant Denn writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > Our new Dell runs redhat 7.0 which came with the
 > 2.96 'accidental' release as shown on your web
 > page.

       We have reason to believe that even with a proper compiler the
7.0 release may not work with AIPS.  RedHat 7.1 does work.

 > Our first attempt using the 2.96 version crashed.
 > I saw a lot of error messages of the sort
 > warning:  unused variable 'msgkil'

      Why did you bother?  This is the version of the compiler that
warns about every variable in COMMON that  is not used in a routine
tha tincludes that COMMON.  Gbytes of erroneous warnings!

 > It finally pooped out at the FILAIP

     No it will not work

 > part. This may be because I have incorrectly defined the
 > data areas: I can check the documentation
 > regarding that. However, my question is:
 >
 > Would it behoove us to install 2.95.3 gcc?

Yes it would.  Do follow our instructions and put it someplace other
than /usr/bin.  Your RedHat 7.0 was build with the 2.96 compiler and
it must stay in place to support your OS.  Install 2.95.3 someplace
else and point the AIPS compile procs at that place.  The web page has
all you need for this - I even installed 2.95.3 here following those
instuctions and it was suprisingly easy.