[daip] Re: AIPS on Linux 7.1

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Aug 21 10:44:39 EDT 2001

Jennifer Wiseman writes:

 > I understand from your Web page that AIPS doesn't
 > yet work on 7.1 with the default GNU 2.96
 > compiler, and that I should install the older
 > 2.95 compiler to run with RedHat 7.1 for AIPS.
 > Is that still the case?

     The 2.96 compiler is not an official or even unofficial release
of the GNU compiler group.  It does not correctly optimise code.  It
never will.  You must use some other compiler if you want AIPS to
work.

 > Just wondering, because your web page also said
 > that "there are good reasons
 > for moving to 7.1 and NRAO is doing so",
 > but I was wondering when this might happen
 > or if it already has.

     RedHat 7.1 is an OPERATING SYSTEM.  It is not a defective
compiler.  The two are mutually exclusive (except that the OS is
compiled with the compiler but seems to work anyway).