[daip] AIPS not recognizing amount of free disk space

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Aug 16 15:40:19 EDT 2001

Sally Laurent-Muehleisen writes:

 > 	We are running the 31DEC99 AIPS (last updated via the MNJ in Dec
 > 2000).  When we try to run DBCON, we get the following error:
 >
 > >go dbcon
 > DBCON1: Task DBCON  (release of 15APR98) begins
 > DBCON1: RA and DEC match to within 3 microarcseconds each
 > DBCON1: --I'm not going to shift positions
 > AIPS 1: Resumes
 > >DBCON1: ZCREA2: BYTES OVERFLOW ? = -1362245632
 > DBCON1: INSUFFICIENT SPACE ON DISK  5 FOR FILE DA05:UVD001001.334;
 > DBCON1: REQUESTED SIZE OF     2863986 BLOCKS FROM ZCREAT
 > DBCON1: UVCREA: NO ROOM FOR BOOTES      .DBCON .   3
 > DBCON1: ERROR  1 CREATING OUTPUT FILE
 > DBCON1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > DBCON1: lintilla 15APR98 TST: Cpu=    0.2  Real=      1  IO=         0

The important message is the first one.  You are attempting to write a
file > 2 Gbytes without having built the software for such large
files.

Linux boxes with the 2.4.2 kernel (available in the infamous RedHat
7.1 release) and Solaris 2.6 and greater can compile the C routines
for this.  This requires the option

           -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

to be in your CCOPTS.SH.  We did not invoke this option by default
until 31DEC01.  In Solaris we have it in the CCOPTS.SH files for SUL
but restricted to our sites.

This does not restrict the total use of disk, just the use per file.